a note from Russell Sydney, Executive Director
Earth Day has always been a special celebration in Ojai, but this year, in the face of so much political change, the celebration will take on new importance. What has been in the past a single day’s celebration at Oak Grove School will this year become a week-long series of events throughout our town. The event has outgrown Oak Grove’s School’s ability to host, and with their full support, to best celebrate our planet and our environmental work for Ojai, we invite people like you to help reach out, engage and inform our community about how we can all take local action to care for our Earth. A full spectrum of events are in the works, starting to come together nicely, and your participation can help them to really take off!
The Ojai Valley Green Coalition is joining forces with the Center for Spiritual Living to create a fun-filled event at the Women’s Center in Downtown. The Coalition is also working with other groups as well. One group is forming to bring the March for Science into downtown Ojai. Another group is working on creating an action oriented day of panel discussions about four key environmental issues. All of this is in addition to the efforts of the traditional sponsors of Earth Day including the Oak Grove School, Food for Thought and the Ojai Valley Land Conservancy.
You can help by spreading the word and getting involved in making this happen. Here’s how:Save the Date - Saturday April 22nd to help out
Help make the events at the Women’s center a HUGE success by working with:
- Organizing Movies to show at the event
- Bring and help organize booths and information tables
- Help organize, prepare for and join in with creating a water wise Garden Workshop to rehabilitate the garden at the Center
- Sign up to help with logistics, set-up and clean up
Bring your Earth Friendly Vehicles to the event, including Electric Vehicles, Bicycles, NEVs, electric bikes and even your skateboards.
- Help with organizing the March for Science and spreading the word about that.
- Help to build the various panels and to prepare for a full day of engaging talks
- Sign up to help with the promotion and outreach for the effort
- Let us know if you are planning something we can add to the list of Earth Week Events
- Sponsor one or more of these activities with your financial contributions
The idea of having an Earth Dance has come up but we need people to step up and make that happen! That means music and organizers for getting that going. The Center for Spiritual living can host but needs more energy to get that to happen.
Join us! Thank you.
Please call: Russell Sydney, Executive Director of the Green Coalition at 805-669-8445, or you can reach out to Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org by email.